Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Celebrating our Freedoms!

This last year James and I have spent alot of time learning the history of our Founding Fathers by taking a constitution class, and by reading books like, 1776, The Making of America, The Spiritual Journey of George Washington, exerpts from President Benson, and Cleon Skousen's 5,000 yr leap. All such amazing books!
I never really read alot of history books growing up, but now it seems I can't get enough. I feel I have awakend to a wonderful flood of teachings and stories that have become a heart beat for me. Allthough, I guess I am playing catchup for all the lost time before now, but what's most important is that I am learning it. I have such an increased love and respect for our Founding Fathers, and know that they were truly led by the hand of God to establish this land as a place where men can live, work, and worship with peace and freedom. Yet, there are principles they taught that if we as a nation neglect, will result in a loss of these freedoms. It is amazing to me how slowly but surely socializm has creeped up on our society.

Truly, we are all grateful for the country we have and the freedoms we enjoy. But recently, I have realized how important it is in the midst of our gratitude, to make sure we do what we can to continue to preserve these freedoms. When we recognize how far away from the true principles of the constitution we have veared, it causes a true awakening, and desire to do all we can to uphold it.

David O'McKay said, "Next to being one in worshiping God, there is nothing in this world upon which the church should be more united than in upholding and defending the Constitution of the United States!" (The Instructor, 1956)
So.... with that tangent, Happy Fourth of July! I think this is such an exciting time to be alive!

James ran the 10K in the freedom run!
James' two brothers and nephew also ran!


Amy and I watching the boys do fireworks!

6 comments:

Sheila said...

Happy 4th, I loved what you wrote and think it's so cool that you and James are taking classes together...how cute! (you know, and good for the brain too)

Anyways, Jeff and I are coming out there this summer and want to see you and James. We'll be up at Snowbird for Jeff's fam. reunion last week in July I think thru Aug 2nd. And then we have a week to fill up with visiting friends till my brother's wedding Aug 8th. So let me know when you guys have a free night maybe and we can come hang out!

Rosander said...

Sounds like it was a good 4th. That is so awesome that you are taking the time to learn all of this. Good for you guys. I look forward to seeing you on Mon.

Jeanne Lawyer said...

I love what you wrote. I am a history buff myself and you have read some great books. It sounds like you had a wonderful 4th and we are so excited to see you next week.

We love you guys!!!

benandkiki said...

That's so awesome that you have been learning so much about the founding of America. I've never been a huge history buff, but you do make it sound more interesting.

Emily said...

Katie,
Thank you so much for stopping by and for your comments! :) We have been out of town visiting family in Michigan for about a month and so I have been behind in returning my emails.
I'm so sad to have missed a play date with you girls! I would have LOVED to come! Really, during the summer we aren't up to much, and I love opportunities to get together. If you have another gathering again in the future, please count me in! Thanks again for thinking of me.
Have a wonderful day.
Always,
Emily

Anonymous said...

Lawyer hey brother good to see yer doing well! yer kids adorable. nice work on the marathon.take care. -underwood