Thursday, April 10, 2008

Gracie's 1st Birthday



Yesterday, as I was making cupcakes, getting ready for Gracies little birthday party, thoughts flooded my mind of how much joy this first year has been, and just how grateful I am for the blessing of Gracie. I thought about those 3 long years of waiting for her to come to us. And how our hearts rejoiced when we first found out we were going to have her! While I was baking, I turned on the Oprah show which I like to do every once in a while, so I can watch from the kitchen. She had an actress on who I dont even know, and the actress was 40 something years old and had just had her first baby.
Oprah said, "I hear you have a message you would like to share with the women in our audience." She said "YES!" "I want to tell you to go and live your dreams, accomplish your goals, do what you want to do in life, and do it before you have children." She said something about how glad she is that she waited to have a baby because she feels that she got to do something important in life, and to live her dreams, she said she got it all out of her system before she had a baby, so that she doesnt have to be someone who regrets having children."
She then encouraged women to wait to have children. She said, "women are having children way too young, your 20's and 30's, those are years where you should be accomplishing your goals and dreams" With that,the audience stood and applauded her.

After watching this segment I turned the tv off and took a moment to think. Did she really just say that? Did the audience full of women, most of them probably mothers, just clap? Did they know why they just clapped? Does that woman really think that all the years of her acting in movies is more important and created more value in the world, than being a mother?

True, this is the voice of the world today. Live your dreams now, put yourself first. Dont let children rob you of your goals and ambitions. Sadly, I realize that you cannot force anyone to desire or to truly understand the sacred, joyful, and ever so important role of motherhood, or the importance of raising children.

I am just grateful that I chose to live my dream. To start my family when I could. To reach my goal of striving to raise up a precious little girl, and to help her become the best person she can be. I am grateful for mothers all accross the world who have a strong conviction that what they are doing matters, and the role they have is divinely sacred. I am grateful for the tender and eternal blessings that come through motherhood that completely outway the short term glory of fame. Truly, I am grateful for "mothers who know."

20 comments:

Uffens Family said...

Happy 1st Birthday to Gracie...she is absolutely beautiful! I cannot believe how lucky we are to be mothers to these little girls! Katie...amen...I watched that Oprah and was seriously shocked that Selma Hyack(sp?) would say something like that! It shocked me and I was ready to fight with the TV as the audience applauded what she said!

kateworthi said...

Yay for Gracie turning one! It's such a fun thing; but it goes by SO fast! And seriously, I am so bugged about Oprah (in general), and the way the audience reacted to that comment. Hello! Don't they know that the older you are when you have children, it increases the chances for all kinds of problems to occur? For both baby and mother - but especially the baby? I'm irritated with the selfishness of our society. Having kids in your 20's and 30's is the best way to be able to have energy enough to keep up with them and be a good mom! Although children CAN be tough sometimes - they are SUCH a BLESSING! We are lucky to be able to bear them! Thanks for your comments. You're such a great girl! (sorry for the length of my comment - I'm just irritated!)

EJNielsen said...

Happy Happy Birthday! How time has flown. We will always cherish this time with our children and can afford to since we have them while we're young. Gracie is blessed to have you for a mom.

Rosander said...

How true that is!!!!! I'm so with you and am so grateful everyday I get with Molly. They seem to go too fast and even on the hard days there is not a moment of regret for having kids right now in life. K and i know dumb question, but where did you get Gracie's shirt the white one under and the one on top. They are so cute and I need a white shirt just like that and I feel like i've looked everywhere. Let me know. Lindsay

Cathy said...

Hi Katie! I found your blog. Maybe through Karyn. Anyway, I loved what you said about mothers. Having older kids I know IT GOES BY WAY TOO FAST! I never believed it when people told me this. But treasure all the moments. Being a mom is the best thing I could do with my life. There's nothing sweeter than a smile from a happy baby!

Dan Lawyer said...

Hooray! Thank you for being such a great mother for one of my favorite nieces. That Oprah thing is so lame. How can people be so confused?

Bryan and Ashley said...

Happy Birthday Gracie! She's SO cute--I think she definitely liked her cake!! Katie I just wanted to say thank you for what you said about mothers. I don't know if I'm just overly emotional :) or if I am so beyond happy to finally be able to be a mother that this made me cry--but it did. I'm truly so thankful for mothers like you that are such a good example for new mothers like me!

kidsmom said...

Happy 1st Birthday Gracie. You have an awesome mom. Love you Katie, thanks for the comments on motherhood. More people need to read Jane Clyason Johnson's book about giving up her career so she could be a mom.

Jenn said...

I loved reading this! You put into words what so many of us feel. Being a mother is so important, and I wouldn't trade these days for anything!!

SuzyO said...

Wow! Excellent post Katie. And Happy Birthday to Gracie! (Where does the time go?) She is darling.

McKenna Cotton said...

You are one of the few of us who must stand for what we know is true. The world is changing fast. Thank you for being one of the leaders in our quest. Love you sis.

Madsen Family said...

Katie, I found your blog through Amie's - it is SO cute! Gracie is adorable. Happy Birthday to her! Thank you for your comments about motherhood ~ it could not have been said better. Just this morning I watched some Oprah segments from an e-mail I received and was shocked. It is so sad. I am eternally grateful for my little bugs and all the joy(and hard work!) they bring to my life. Thank you again!
Kristina Madsen(Lambrix)

brittani c. said...

Miss Salma cannot speak for all, that's for sure. She wasn't that great of an actress anyway. Some women have dreams for fame and wealth, others have dreams to be a mother. Dreams are different in every way, shape, and form, so it looks like you are living your! Mine have definitely adjusted since marriage...plus, deep-down inside every woman is a desire to have a family, and to deny that feeling is to deny that fact that you're a female. You look like an adorable mom, Katie. I bet Oprah would love to trade you places.

Frye Kids said...

wow i cant believe she is already a year old. She is a beautiful little girl, you are blessed to have her and she is blessed to have you and James as her parents. The world is crazy and confused and we need strong women who know who they are to lead our children, you are an example to us all and always have been!

The Stevens said...

Happy Birthday to Gracie! She is so very darling. Sorry this is so late but I have been out of the blogging world lately! I could not agree more about the Oprah thing as well. Being a mother is what I wanted when I wanted it. I have never and will never regret my choice!

Heidi Kjar said...

Good post Katie. Man, Oprah has such a spell over women huh? I used to think everything she said and stood for was like gospel, but there's been quite a few times like this, when I realize the evil one has made "evil look good". Thanks for this post- I brought it up in a conversation the other day.

Heidi Kjar said...

ps. my comment didn't make total sense, by the evil one I didn't mean Oprah- I meant Satan has made evil look good in this example and many others. Thought I'd better clarify:)

Johnson said...

Wonderfully put Katie. It is pretty scary to think of how the world has shifted so far from what is right and good, and also scary to think of how much further things will shift before Christ comes again. I love the book I finished reading a few months ago, I Am A Mother. It made me appreciate so much more all I and all other dedicated moms do for our little ones. Anyways, I can't believe Gracie is 1. She is so adorable.

Sheila said...

YES!! I TOTALLY AGREE!! Go Katie! Happy B-Day to Gracie, she's more adorable every day I think. Her little pigtails are too cute, I love them! What a fun day!

I love you Katie, I always agree with the things you go off on!!

Donna Lawyer said...

Katie, Am I ever glad James reeled you in when he went fishing! Love you, Mom...And I agree, those pig tails are just too cute!