Wednesday, April 16, 2008

World Peace!


So Last weekend I was a judge for the Miss Pleasant Grove Pageant! I was so excited! Not only did I get to judge the talent, swim suit, and evening gown competition, but before hand I got to do all the interviews with the rest of the judges. I have never been a "pageant girl" and I have made my fair share of comments joking about the pageant walk, the air head answers to on stage questions, and yes, even every pageant girls true desire for "world Peace!"

However, I did grow up watching Miss America with my sisters, and afterward we would float around the house, imitating the "pageant wave!" There are alot of jokes out there about pageants, but after this experience I have to say I do have alot more respect for the process these girls go through. They really do learn alot about public speaking, and community service, and lets admit, it takes alot of confidence to walk around a stage with only a bathing suit on!

They each choose a platform where they dedicated their time to community service. They are beautiful, tough, and humbly open them selves up to being critiqued, which is a hard thing to do... but a great way to grow.

They were a talented bunch of girls. Piano players, singers, and dancers! You could tell how shy some were, and how out of their comfort zone this was for them. Watching how their confidence grew throughout the process was truly inspiring. After watching the pageant I wanted to go up and give them all a big hug!

Some of you may have done pageants when you were young, and to you I say Congratulations! Congratulations, for putting your self out there, and being so courageous, sharing your talents, and desiring to work with the community! So after a fun filled day of working with those girls, I can honestly say I am happy to have participated in such a great scholarship program,(not a beauty pageant!)

10 comments:

Ken said...

how cool is that? i think it would be fun to be a judge (and listen to some of them give the stupidest answers)happy b-day to gracie!! cathy

Mardi and Jeremey said...

We missed you at Beckee's shower, but it looks like you had a lot of fun. I love your blog. I just saw Stephanie Paul today, I am excited to see you at her shower. Check out my blog anytime: www.jeremeyandmardi.blogspot.com

Mardi Sifuentes

SuzyO said...

And...

World Peace.

:-)

Kate said...

Sounds like fun. That is fun to be able to see a different perspective on something. Especially on the "beauty pageant" world!

Cathy said...

Interesting! It's nice to get a little insider info on something I just thought of as fluff! Sounds like they were some really great girls. The YW did a great job today. Oh, and loved your dress!

Megan said...

I knew you had it in you. I vaguely remember watching a few Miss America pageants with you growing up and as I recall, you were quite an astute judge, even as a teenager! Here she comes....

Rosander said...

Sounds like fun! Thanks for the info on the white shirt, we went and got on and it works perfectly for what I needed it for, thanks. PS that fruit pizza looks soooo good. I will be thinking about it till I cave and make it, welcome to me being pregnant:)

Heidi Kjar said...

your so cute katie! You would have won the pageant for sure had you been in one! How fun you got to judge a pageant! I love watching the Miss America and Miss USA pageants too every year with my sisters and mom:). I like calling it a scholarship program too, sounds much better!

Kate said...

Katie-

I need your email address, I thought I had it - So I can send you the mission pictures. Email me at klbarlow78@hotmail.com.
Thanks, Kate

Johnson said...

Oh how that fruit pizza brings back warm memories, like bloaded bellies and gettin' our groove on at Ricks dances. Maybe you don't eat it as the main meal like we did, an entire sugar cookie crust as the source of a main meal, no wonder I looked the way I did that summer, or wait, the whole time I was at Ricks.